Monday, November 28, 2011

Suman Cassava (Sumang Kamoteng-kahoy)


Suman or rice cake is either made from glutinous rice or cassava (kamoteng-kahoy) wrapped in banana leaves. There are copious varieties of suman. Among them are Suman sa Binuo, Suman sa Ibus, Suman sa Inantala, Sumang Kamoteng Kahoy, Suman sa Lihiya, Sumang Wilmacale and sumang tamales. What makes these suman distinctive is the unique chewy sweet taste and among these suman, my favorites are sumang kamoteng-kahoy and tamales. I knew a BatangeƱa vendor who commutes all the way from Batangas to Makati with her 'bayong' full of her homemade kakanins just to sell them and I never fail to buy sumang-kamoteng kahoy or tamales. This suman easily fulfills my hunger probably because it's made with cassava which is starchy and a major source of carbohydrates just like a potato.

Suman is a popular 'kakanin' among Filipinos and has long been part of Filipino celebrations like Fiesta, Christmas, New year and other various occasions. I remember everytime I visit my town in Batangas to celebrate fiesta, all homes have suman on their tables but what makes this suman meaningful is the wrapping which binds the women together telling stories while they wrap the suman, and has been considered as part of the very vibrant culture of the country. Suman originated from the harvest feasting of the early Filipinos before the arrival of Hispanic and American influences.

Living in another country will not hold me from eating the Filipino kakanins I used to eat wayback home (Philippines). Thanks to Asian stores who's selling Filipino ingredients and I could cook my own kakanin! Homemade kakanins are always the best! I've tried making Suman, Pichi-pichi, cassava cake, palitaw, ginatang bilo-bilo, carioca and will try a lot more! This mouthwatering suman cassava recipe is very simple and easy to follow with only 4 ingredients. The only challenge is where to find cassava. If there is an Asian/Filipino grocery stores near you, you're lucky! The nearest Filipino store in my town is like 30km drive away. I used Fresh Cassava or 'yuca' which I bought at Metro supermart. You can also use frozen cassava. I've also tried the frozen ones and there is exactly no difference when it comes to taste and texture. For the shredded coconut, I used the medium dessicated coconut you can find at any grocery stores (baking ingredients area). For the wrap, I bought frozen banana leaves at a Chinese store. Dipped it in boiling water first then wipe before wrapping. Steamed the suman and it's done! While I was indulging, It reminded me of fiestas in Batangas.


Ingredients:

2 cups grated cassava
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
banana leaves


How to Cook:

1. Prepare the steamer
2. Prepare the banana leaves (cut in appropriate sizes, dipped in boiling hot water, wiped)
3. Mix the ingredients, scoop out about 2 tbsp each and lay on the banana leaves then wrap.
4. When water is boiling, place the suman in steamer seam side and folds down.
5. Steam for 20 minutes or until done.
6. Take out the suman from the steamer and wait for few minutes for it to cool down a little bit then indulge!

No comments:

Post a Comment